Glenn’s Famous Almond Roca
1 lb salted butter
2 cups sugar
7 Hershey bars (individual size- broken into 3-piece squares)
1/3 lb finely chopped almonds
- Place butter and sugar in a large non stick pan over medium heat. Allow to melt and combine while stirring.
- Caramelize butter and sugar by stirring constantly over medium heat.
If mixture separates just keep stirring. Takes 15 to 25 minutes.
* Mixture is ready
when it is a rich caramel-color and gets crunchy when a small amount is dropped
into a cup of cold water which is when it Reaches around 315 degree F
- Quickly pour caramel mixture onto large cookie sheet or baking pan (it hardens
quickly so spread it out as fast as possible to make it as thin as possible)
- Top immediately with chocolate, laying pieces of the Hershey bar intermittently
to provide enough of a layer to cover the caramel.
- Let chocolate melt then spread with
brush evenly across the caramel
- Sprinkle almonds atop chocolate layer with as little or as much Almonds as your heart desires
- Let cool on counter then you can speed up the cooling by putting the sheet in the
frig, but wait till it is not that hot.
- Break it up, enjoy and share! Don’t eat too much at one time!
* I find that old Revere Ware pans are better than Analon or Circulon for caramelizing.
* Caramel should be runny in consistency and a true caramel color– novice candy makers
are often tempted to pull it off the heat before it’s done. Heat to about 315 degree F
* Unwrap chocolate and break bars into squares before you begin.
* Use a spreading knife or heat resistant spatula to spread caramel on the pan.
* Spread it fast as it sets up quickly.
* Have chopped nuts ready to sprinkle so they stick to the melted chocolate.
* One batch of caramel requires one 12” by 18” sheet.